Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Divergent by Veronica Roth

why: Someone said that this was in the same category as The Hunger Games, so I thought it would be great summer reading.

when: start 7/30, end 8/2

how: As an ebook on my ipad (purchased as usual online from my local independent bookseller!)

thoughts: As you can see, I tore through this one pretty quickly. Hard to put it down once you get started. A friend asked me recently if this was written in the same first person present tense voice as The Hunger Games, and it is, and that narrative voice is annoying, but it really didn't matter. The whole premise here of the five factions living in and around a futuristic dystopic Chicago where 16 year olds have to decide their life faction in a choosing ceremony was really pretty cool. Lots to think about there in terms of how our own society is structured and works. I had to purchase the next book in the series immediately and start reading the moment I finished the last page of this one. 

Click on the book image to get to information on this text from the author's blog.

review haiku:
at 16 years old
choose your faction, your people,
unless you don't fit

No comments:

Post a Comment