Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Writing Workshop: Working through the Hard Parts (And They're All Hard Parts) by Katie Wood Ray with Lester L. Laminack

why: I'm reading this in preparation for training to become an instructor in the Colorado Writing Project.

when: start 6/4/13, end 6/5/13

how: as a hard copy book. I read most of it on my couch, and I filled the margins with thoughts scrawled in blue ink.

thoughts: Out of all of the books I've read about teaching writing via workshop, this on is the most concrete I've read. What I mean by that is that it actually shows you what a writer's workshop looks like and all the little pieces/components of it. I think Kitttle's book on teaching writing goes in deep in a few aspects of this kind of teaching--and that is really important reading to do. But this one really shows you what a workshop looks like. It makes me want to pick up Atwell's In the Middle and re-read it since it's been nearly 20 years since I've looked at that, my first introduction to a reading/writing workshop (which I loved after reading that but never thought I could actually pull it off...)

Click on the book image to get to information about this book from the publisher.

review haiku:
Workshop formula?
Ha! There'is no such kind of thing.
Teach them as writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment