Saturday, February 2, 2013

White Teeth by Zadie Smith

Why: a couple of weeks ago at a meeting with some colleagues, two of them raved about an author I had never even heard of. Smith has also a newer novel just out in 2012, but I figured I'd start here with this one that has been very critically acclaimed.

When: Start 2/2/13 End 4/1/13

How: as an ebook on my iPad

Thoughts: Awesome line from chapter 1: "Clara Bowden, aged seventeen, was gangly, bucktoothed, a Jehovah's Witness, and saw in Ryan a kindred spirit. A typical teenage female panopticon, she knew everything there was to know about Ryan Topps long before they ever spoke." I've never seen "panopticon" used in quite this way, and I love it.

This book took me a while, but finally I conquered it. Loved it too. It's complex--lots and lots to unpack, but it definitely taught me some things about British contemporary culture and the struggle of immigrants there. The teeth motif was fun to puzzle out for sure.

review haiku:
people do differ
but we all have teeth, white teeth
with roots. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment