Monday, January 20, 2014

Columbine by Dave Cullen

why: I've been wanting to read this book for a while. After the Arapahoe shooting, I figured it was time.

when: January 2014 (took me about a week)

how: as an ebook on my iPad, purchased from my local independent bookseller

thoughts: The author says this book took him 10 years. And I believe it. It's exhaustive. It pours through the writings and videos that Klebold and Harris left behind to try to understand what drove them both to murder. In short, Harris was a psychopath. Kelbold was depressed and suicidal. Together they were a deadly pairing. I also learned that their plans were to kill far more people than they did that day. Their bombs failed to detonate. As a high school teacher, it's terrifying to read and learn about these events, but I'm more and more convinced that prevention is not about arming teachers, but doing everything you can to have a healthy community that seeks out and supports kids who struggle. There were plenty of opportunities to do just that with these two but it didn't happen as it needed to.

Click on the book image to go to the author's website.

review haiku:
terrifying simply
terrifying. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment